Purchase Online

Georgetown Historic House Blocks

Add items to a Shopping Cart and pay with "Paypal" or Major Credit Card 



Larger View
Memorial Town Hall 1905 (Formerly the Central School)
Originally built as an eight room schoolhouse, the Central School was converted into The Town Hall in 1974. The construction of the Georgetown Central School in 1905 brought to an end the system of one-room schoolhouses scattered throughout the community which had been the rule since the eighteenth century. In 1994, it was officially named Memorial Town Hall to commemorate individual citizens for outstanding dedication and service to the town. In 1999, the exterior was restored and the interior is currently under restoration.
GHS Catalog No: Hblk-007    Price: $24.00  


Larger View

Brocklebank House (Museum)
The Brocklebank house is believed to have been built in the late 1600's. The land on which the house stands was granted in 1661 to Samuel Brocklebank, a surveyor, who had come from England to Rowley as a child in 1638. Brocklebank, a captain in the militia, was killed along with his entire company in Sudbury in 1676 in a skirmish with Indians during the King Philip's War. The house is now owned and operated by the Georgetown Historical Society.
GHS Catalog No: Hblk-003     Price: $24.00  

Larger View
Baldpate Inn
The Inn, built in 1724, was originally the home of Dr. George Mighill. Paul Nelson Spofford purchased the house in 1889, and converted it into an Inn. The Tally-ho, pulled by four-in-hand, was a common site, transporting guests from the railway station to the inn. The inn offered old fashioned hospitality and also some of the finest outdoor recreation in Essex County. The annual foxhunt in October drew many famous guests, including Edward, Prince of Wales, in 1924. In 1939, a group of doctors acquired the inn and established the present psychiatric hospital.
GHS Catalog No: Hblk-002    Price: $24.50  


Larger View
The Perley Free School (without addition)
Built in 1898, The Perley School construction was funded by John Perley, a prominent area merchant, raised in Georgetown. Mr. Perley died in 1860 and left monies to finance a "free school for the residents of Georgetown". By 1898 sufficient funds had accumulated to undertake the project. Know as "The Perley Free School", it served as the town's only high school. A fire in 1935, gutted the interior of the building. The town rebuilt and opened it as Perley High School the next year.
GHS Catalog No: Hblk-009      Price: $24.00  


Larger View
The Perley Free School (with addition)
The Perley Free School was newly renovated in 1998-1999. Originally built in 1898 to serve as the town's only high school, now serves as the school for grades Pre-School through First Grade, and is known as the Perley Elementary School.
GHS Catalog No: Hblk-008      Price: $24.00  

Larger View
Trolley Trestle
The trestle built in 1896, high over railroad tracks, solved the problem caused by the Boston & Maine Railroad's refusal to allow the trolley to cross their tracks, an inconvenience to passengers who had a long walk to the town's center. This served as a commuter rail between Haverhill and Georgetown.
GHS Catalog No: Hblk-011     Price: $24.50  
 

Larger View
Georgetown Peabody Library
The second public library to be built in Georgetown through the generosity of George Peabody, London Banker and philanthropist. The first library, built in 1869, on the old Swamp Road, presently Library Street, was a gift by Mr. Peabody to honor his mother's birthplace and his sister who resided in Georgetown. He stipulated that $3,000 of the funds he gave to erect the building be invested and could be used to build another structure when the fund accumulated $20,000. By 1888, the town decided it was necessary to replace the first library and to build in a better location. This classic Richardsonian structure opened in 1909.
GHS Catalog No: Hblk-006     Price: $24.50  
 

Larger View

Byfield Parish
In 1701, Mehetabel Moody, acting on behalf of 19 families, successfully petitioned the towns of Newbury and Rowley for permission to form a new church parish. The new parish, named in honor of Judge Byfield, erected the first Byfield Parish Church in 1702. Founded by the people within the parish and not the local government, it was the first independent Congregational Church in America. The present 5th church, depicted here, was erected in 1988. It is located a short distance from the 4th church, now a private residence, that stands on the site of all previous church buildings. The year 2002 marks the 300th anniversary of the parish.
GHS Catalog No: Hblk-004     Price: $24.50  

 

 


 

Larger View

School House No. 3, circa 1828 - Known as the Hill School
In the early days there Schoolhouse No. 3 on Andover Hill  is the last remaining one-room that was built to replace the original schoolhouse that was where the Civil War Monument is today. No. 3 closed in 1905 and was used as a barn by the owners. When the Perley family sold the estate in 1984, they gave the town the gift of the schoolhouse. Old No.3 was moved to the Georgetown Historical Society's property and is now one of the historic structures on East Main Street.
GHS Catalog No: Hblk-010     Price: $12.00  
ON SALE!

 

 


 
 

About GHS | Brocklebank Museum | Calendar | Officers | Join the Society | Gift Shop | Yankee Magazine

Georgetown Historical Society •  PO Box 376 •  Georgetown, MA 01833-2304

BACK TO MAIN PAGE